Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Living Healthy - Tomatoes, Tomatoes, TOMATOES!

A while back I mentioned that one of my summer goals was to eat healthy, and so far I've been pretty successful both eating healthier and loosing a bit of weight. So far I've lost 20 lbs, and I couldn't be happier, and its all thanks to some good old farmers market vegetables.

This weekend specifically we were down near Baltimore, visiting relatives, and their backyard vegetable garden has been going so well that we ended up with WAY more tomatoes then we could possibly eat on their own. So what did we do? We made Gazpacho and Bruschetta! Summer standards, sure, but amazing none the less. I thought I'd share some photos, and the simple recipes we used. Today, Gazpacho, tomorrow, stay tuned for the Bruschetta!

Summer Gazpacho

3 summer tomatoes
1 small yellow onion
1/2 red pepper
1 clove of garlic
1 large handful of basil
1 tablespoon (or so) olive oil
1 tablespoon (or so) balsamic vinegar
1 piece of bread, whatever is lying around
salt and pepper to taste

I roughly chopped the vegetables, and ripped up the bread, and then added it all to a food processor and blended it until it was roughly smooth. It couldn't be more simple, OR healthy, and made for a great lunch along with a piece of multi-grain toast and a farmers market apple with just a touch of peanut butter. Healthy, local, and primarily organic. It doesn't get much better than that!

Stay tuned for tomorrow's recipe and photos of the Bruschetta we made for dinner!

Cheers, and happy healthy eating, Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment